The Rio Grande Elementary School Community Learning Center was developed through collaboration between Gallia-Vinton Educational Service Center, Gallipolis City Schools, and community partners to serve elementary school students from Rio Grande Elementary School and their families. The program title is the Rio Grande Elementary School S.O.A.R. (Student Opportunities at Rio). In addition to the before and after school program, there will be parent/family programs scheduled throughout the year at Rio Grande Elementary School and other locations in the community. The Community Learning Center of Gallipolis City Schools is located in the Rio Grande Elementary School building.
The Community Learning Center will make beneficial use of out-of-school hours by offering extended learning opportunities and providing quality enrichment programs for children and families throughout the Gallipolis City Schools district.
An array of enrichment programs promotes social development and academic success for students, as well as opportunities for families to engage in meaningful activities. The scope of supervised activities may include:
• tutoring services
• literacy and math education programs
• art, music, dance, theater, other cultural education activities
• science and technology education programs
• expanded library hours
• drug and violence prevention programs
• wrap-around services
• sports, games and recreational activities
• problem-solving skills
• service-learning activities
• family events and activities
• career exploration activities